Weekly Update 25 Aug 2023
National currencies and cryptocurrencies fell, while other asset classes were mixed. The largest gains were in silver, up 4.9%, and platinum, up 3.8%. The worst losses were in crude oil, down 2.9%, Ethereum, down 2.1%, and the Japanese Yen, down 2.0%.
- US Dollar cash fell 1.1%, but long term treasuries rose 0.4%.
- The only stocks in the green were gold stocks, up 2.0%. The Dow Industrials fell 1.6%.
- Crude oil fell 2.9%.
Over the last five years, only cryptocurrencies and silver are in the green.
- Ethereum and bitcoin were the best performers, rising 266% and 141% respectively. Silver added 3.4%.
- The largest losses were in the Yen, down 52.5%, and long term treasuries, down 47.1%.
- The US Dollar fell 37.5%, but still managed to outperform all other major currencies.
Click for PDF version
Filed under monetary universe by